International Students

Welcome to our newest Islander students from abroad! Please review the checklist provided below to ensure that all outstanding items are addressed prior to your enrollment at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.

After you are admitted

  1. Upon gaining admission, our International Student Advisor will contact you at the e-mail address you provided on your application for admission to verify you are still interested in enrolling A&M-Corpus Christi.
  2. Once you have expressed your continued interest in enrolling at A&M-Corpus Christi, the International Student Advisor will generate an I-20 for you. The I-20 will be sent via United Parcel Service (UPS) to your international address, along with your official letter of admission from A&M-Corpus Christi, and an instructional letter from the International Student Advisor.
  3. You must complete an 1-901 Fee Form and pay the $200.00 fee online at Be sure to retain your payment receipt, as you will be required to present this receipt later as proof of payment.
  4. After you have paid your SEVIS fee, you will take the payment receipt, your official letter of admission from A&M-Corpus Christi, and your I-20 to the U.S. Embassy located in your country. There you will be issued your F1 student visa which you will use to enter the United States.

Preparing to travel to/entering the United States

  1. Once you have obtained your student visa, you can begin making your travel arrangements to the United States. PLEASE NOTE: U.S. federal law mandates that you may enter the country no more than 30 days prior to the program start date indicated on your I-20.
  2. When you enter the United States, you will be required to present your I-20, your current passport, and your student visa. Upon presenting these items, you will be issued an I-94 card. It is very important that you keep all these documents on you at all times, as they will be used to validate your travels to/from the United States.

Arriving to campus

  1. After you have arrived in Corpus Christi, you must meet with the International Student Advisor so that she can obtain your local contact information and copies of your official documents to be placed with your student file.
  2. The International Student Advisor will verify that you have obtained health insurance, which is required of all international students. If you are unable to provide proof of health insurance, an application for student health insurance will be provided to you by the International Student Advisor.
  3. You will meet with your academic advisor to review your degree plan and register for your classes.
  4. We require that you complete our Online Orientation Module for new students or, if you are able, attend a New Student Orientation in person (recommended). Please contact the Office of New Student Programs for more information.

Things to remember

  • Always maintain your local contact information. If you move, be sure to update your contact information via the S.A.I.L. Student Portal. You will also need to contact the International Student Advisor to make her aware of the changes to your contact information.
  • You are required to have health insurance during the course of your studies in the United States. Please inquire with the International Student Advisor to retrieve an application for University Health Insurance if you do not have your own.
  • If you are traveling outside of the United States, you must have the International Student Advisor sign Page 3 of your I-20 in order to authorize your travel. Failure to retrieve her official signature will result in your inability to leave/enter the United States.

Contact the Coordinator of International Student Services:

Mr. Derek Yu
Director, International Student Services
Phone: 361.825.3922
E-mail Derek

Serves: All international students